Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oral Presentation Reflections

Yayyy!!:D the heart accelerating oral presentation is finally over! Coupled with the finals of my laboratory practical module which lasted for 7hours yesterday, I heaved a sigh of relief as the week concluded. I am glad that it’s all over!:) I am having mixed feeling. On one hand feeling that it was over but disappointed on the other as I felt that I could have done much better. I was very disappointed and the presentation was below my expectations :(

As compared to peer teaching, I felt much more prepared and managed to rehearse a few more times. However, I was still very nervous(hope it’s not too obvious) and felt that there were much room for improvements on my part.I feel that there is a need to create an impactful start to capture the audience’s attention so as to get them interested in our presentation hence I refined how I can begin the presentation continually for a quite number of times; the actual presentation is the 5th version haha.

I like presentation that starts with a quote as I feel that it is professional and sets the audience thinking. After several hours of search I manage to find a quote by Henry Ford, however we felt it would be better to use it to end the conclusion :D

During the presentation, I felt that I started quite well with confidence and managed to keep the audience engaged as I see many of them were nodding in agreement with the example I shown and especially when I relate an individual(myself)’s example of how alarming one can actually impact the environment in just one different approach – the choice of mode of transportation. However, unfortunately a small hiccup happened. 2 of my slides went missing and one of which was the objectives slide. This made my confidence level dropped. I was too nervous realising the missing slide and fumbled upon quite a few words :( I looked at my team for help but it dawned upon me that I am the speaker at the moment, delivering the presentation and I am the only one who can save myself out of the situation. Therefore, I tried hard to compose myself in the shortest period possible as I am aware that there is only 5minutes of airtime and I would not be given a second chance.

Upon reflection, I do know the objectives and content for my part at the back of my hand. I do not need the slides to guide me of what I am going to say next and should have just continue calmly and “pretend” that nothing went wrong as the audience can just listen to what I am going to say as the slides are just an aid which serves to emphasize my points. However, easier said than done. Regretfully, I failed to remain calm as I was taken aback as I did check the slides many times and all was well. It maybe because when one of my team mates edited the parts in the morning and not all the slides were copied over to her saved version. However, I must say it’s still negligence on my part that I did not do a final run through just right before the presentation. I will bear this in mind and make sure I run through every single slide the next time.

As compared to peer teaching, I feel that I referred less often to the cue cards. Cue cards give me additional psychological support :) however, while holding them, it made me want to refer and follow what is written exactly on my speech and actually distracted me. Thus, at the later part of the presentation, I decided to do away with them and deliver what I wanted to convey to the audience freely. From this experience, I learnt that I can express myself better and engage the audience without cue cards. Confidence is really the key to presentation :) and the continual practices have helped me in handling unanticipated situation and regain my composure. One thing I can and should really work is to be situation-smart so that I can better handle impromptu situation and do also without cue cards! I hope the next presentation(if I have a chance) will be cue card-less! Some of the good things were I managed to maintain eye contact with the audience, volume was appropriate loud and clear. I used non-verbal cues such as appropriate gestures to bring a point across(I hope so as when I practiced infront of the mirror looking at myself it was ok!:) ) and made attempts to emphasize the main points. Lastly, I remembered to acknowledge and thank the audience during Q&A session. However, there is still much room for improvements on my presentation skills.

Team reflections

I am thankful to be in Team Clover!:D I am really glad that Team Clover showed team spirit and gave each other encouragements and support throughout the presentation. Our team showed respect to our team members when each is presenting and nod with a smile on our faces when our team members look back at each other for assurance. I believed this is also what that give me support to regain my composure for the small hiccup. We standardise our dress code to white top and black bottoms and decided to put on a blazer!:) as it look more formal(and cool hahaha and we were secretly feeling suave!:D).

I am proud of the slides and animations we did for our presentation slides. :) I find the fonts, colours and animation used were appropriate as it effectively highlighted our important points. Pictures were also added to enhance the visual experience of the audience. We put in a lot of efforts into designing the slides and set aside time to standardise all the font sizes, alignment and animation so that it looked coherent as a team. I am glad that it turned out well and the audience were appreciative of them. :)

Team spirit is further displayed towards the conclusion part where we stood up one by one to further enhance the meaning of the quote! :D We were quite nervous for the Q&A session even though we were prepared but we did not know what questions await us! And WOW we have overwhelming responses!! Its good in a way as it means that we managed to engage the audience and they were listening to our proposed solutions with interest! YAY! Furthermore, the questions posted by the audience gave us a chance to clarify our solutions and emphasize our points. Our point that we have taken note is BRT could have been better clarified if both sides of the roads were shown. Some questions from the floor were not anticipated and we were alittle lost for answers. I felt that the Q&A session has room for improvements as some of our answers could be better phrased. I believe we will improve with more exposure to handling questions. (:

Overall, I felt that our presentation was effective! (: Through this presentation, it further emphasizes the point the both verbal and non-verbal communications are essential for an effective presentation.

ALL THE BEST TO TEAM ENERGY AND TEAM GREEN FOR THEIR PRESENTATION TML!:D hope everything will go smoothly for them too! I have really gained a lot out of this research project and I believe these memorable and valuable experiences will bring us a long way! (:

17 comments:

  1. Hi, Hui Ting,

    Congratulations to your team! You have done an excellent job this thursday. Definitely, your ppt slides attracted me a lot as well as the fellow classmates. Also, I can see your passion to defence your proposal and your presentation. There are many interactions between your team and the rest of class. I think that is the good point which I need to learn from you.

    Everyone would be nervous during their presentation as well as me. Fortunately, everything went well on that day. You controlled the anxiety with the acceptable level. That revealed you practised a lot and put a lot effort on this project. Everyone can see your hard-working and You did present very well. So, congratulation again for your team and for you, Hui Ting.

    By the way, if I am not wrong, you are in the 4th year in NUS. Wish you all the best in the future. I am glad to study with you in this semester. Take care!

    Ella Liu Chang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hui Ting!

    I feel that you have done a really good job last thursday! You started off very well, asking the audience about the picture and further elaborating on it. You have a very nice smile too. However, I find that you tend to rely on the cue cards too often, perhaps you really should do away with it. I'm sure you are prepared for the OP, no need for cue cards. (:

    As for the panic situation where your slides went missing, I can see the "shock" on your face and you turned to took at your team members. But after that, you still managed to calm your nerves and continue with the presentation. Overall, I would say that your handled the situation well, though this can be further improved.

    I'm impressed with the spirit that your team possesses! Apart from the standardized outfit, the concluding formation your team came out with was remarkable! Keep up the good work! (: Your team also has a set of visually appealing and colourful slides, thumbs up!

    Cheers,
    Elaine :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ting! Was able to tell that you practiced a lot, although I could see that you were nervous too. =D Its really wonderful that we have learnt so much from this course and we'll definitely find what we have gained from this useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ting!

    YAY!!! 2 modules down! And 4 more to go? Haha, I think we did a rather decent presentation overall although the Q&A was abit messy due to the bombardment of the questions! I feel that you did an admirable job of remaining calm and continuing the presentation despite the missing slides.

    As for the quote, I think the formation during the conclusion was rather cool and showcases the teamwork that exist in Team Clover as well!:)

    All the best for the rest of your modules and job hunt! Haha hope that you will get your dream job:)

    Cheers,
    Xiu Qin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello ella!:)

    Thank you very much for your encouragements and feedbacks! I really appreciate them. :) Being the first presenter of the team has given additional stress to make a good start so that I can better engage the audience and capture their attention, I am glad that I appear to be engaging and passionate for my presentation to you as an audience!:D I will continue to work hard and continue to improve on my presentation skills.

    I like your team's idea of starting the presentation with a short video clip as that definitely helps in giving the audience a brief preview of what Team Workforce is going to be presenting next and the pictures clearly show us the poor working conditions of the workers and I empathize with them.

    Thank you very much for your well wishes and I wish you all the best for your upcoming exams too! :) Hope you enjoyed your time in NUS!

    Cheers,
    ting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello elaine!:)

    Thank you for the compliments!:) I do agree with you that the cue cards actually distracted me even though holding on to them serves as an additional support for me psychologically. As the saying goes, its "all in the mind"! haha from this experience, I learnt that I should just be more confident and do away with the cue cards as I already have what I want to share with the audience in mind. Thank you for your feedback! I will try to give more attention to my dear audience than referring to my cue cards the next time. Yes! I was really taken aback and disappointed when I realised that the slides were missing :( This impromptu situation is something that I did not expect to happen. This incident serves as a good learning point for me. Even with ample preparations, things may go wrong at the very moment and I have gained insights that we presenters also have to learn to be situational smart in order to bring across to the audience effectively. :)

    I am really glad that the slides appeared to be visually appealing and pleasant to you as an audience! :) Hope the slides serve as a bonus point to keep the rest of the class engaged. haha :) Team Park did a great job too! Way to go!!

    Cheers,
    ting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello terter!:)

    Thank you very much!:) Congratulation to Team Energy too! Great job done over there!:) We have all come a long way, from zero to hero and lets work to become confident presenters who can deliver our points effectively across to the audience without cue cards in the near future!

    Cheers,
    ting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello xiuqin!:)

    YAYYY! WE DID IT!:D ^5 piak! hahaha :D I do agree with you that the responses we got from the audience is overwhelming! haha but this shows that they are attentive and interested to know more about proposed solutions! Hence they have so many questions for us!(Y) However, I felt that some of our answers could be better phrased. I believe it is a skill to learn and it would come with more exposure.

    Ya, I was really shocked that the slides went missing as I checked out ppt many times before you all reached on thursday morning, but it serves as a good learning point for me. As a presenter in front of the audience, we really need to situation smart as these impromptu situations can happen to us when we least expected it. Thanks for smiling back at me when I looked at the team for "help". It makes a difference :)

    Thank you very much for your well wishes! :) Really hope to get my dream job too! haha and maybe we can really be classmates again in NIE in a year's time! All the best for your prof search too!:) I look forward to tomorrow's lesson with you and the rest of the class.

    Cheers,
    ting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hui Ting,

    Apart from the minor hiccup that you experienced, I thought you did well in general. The missing slides probably shook you up a little bit but the response after that is admirable as you managed to stay on track.

    Other than that, I also believed that your team handled the tough questions pretty well, indicating that you did put a lot of thought into your project. Your group's very professional appearance (with the blazer) also certainly helps in creating this serious yet approachable environment.

    Cheers,
    Fahmi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Huting!

    Great job on the presentation despite the slide (sounds like slight heh) hiccup! I could tell you were super nervous before the presentation and also the fact that you were the first speaker did not help much. But I think you did great; your speech pace was just right, you spoke at the right volume, and you did use adequate hand gestures. I also do agree with you that you presented much better without looking at the cue cards- let this be a good incident to remember that you are still able to present confidently even without looking at the cue cards. :)

    It's been great working with you in this project; you are so bubbly and full of energy, like a bottle of effervescent Coke heh. See you in class for the last lesson soon (I will bring my camera along!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hui Ting !! I am very happy to be same team as you. You are always cute, friendly, happy and full of energy.
    We need to keep contact even the module is over ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hui Ting,

    Yes! I saw you panicking when your slides went missing. But I also saw that XiuQin gave you a nod and you continued thereafter. Great teamwork!

    Love the last part in Team Clover's presentation during the concluding part. And the blazer you girls worn completed the overall professional look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello fahmi! :)

    Thank you very much for the encouragements!:) I believe after this experience, I have gained more insights on being situation smart. Haha yes we love the blazers as it is really quite rare that we have a chance to wear it and were secretly thinking that we looked suave on thursday!

    Cheers,
    ting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dor!:)

    Thank you very much for the encouragements! It has been great working together with you in a team too! You always have great drive to complete the work and I believe you would go a long way! You did great and looked super confident during the presentation without any cue cards. Delivering a presentation without cue cards with passion and enthusiasm is definitely something which I hope to achieve in the near future. I shall attempt to do away with the cue cards in the next presentation! haha.

    All the best for job hunt and hope you get your dream job soon!:D Lets JIAYOU for our finals! See you tomorrow! Photos photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello chen yan!:)

    Hee thank you for your compliments dear!:) It has been great working with you too! Giving me support and confidence when I was very nervous :) I really like the new iphone cover that you bought recently, its so cute! haha. Really appreciate the effective communication and team spirit from our team. :) Team Clover GOGO!:) GALS POWER! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello lisu!:)

    Thank you for your compliments!:) I hope that I manage to "recover" well to my presentation and was not too disruptive. And yes! I am really glad that Team Clover demonstrates great teamwork. :)

    The final formation idea is thought of by doris! haha :) Yay! I really like it too as it further speak for the quote and also I believe creates a impactful and professional ending to the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Hui Ting,

    Well, I 'd say that u did start the presentation with a show of confidence and enthusiasm. In my opinion, it's more important to be passionate when u talk, since it boost your mentality and helps you talk more naturally (and professionally at many times).

    And yes, you have come along way from the time of peer teaching :D Referring less on the notes and realizing that that u don't need them at all is great :D Too bad that u are graduating already, otherwise I'd suggest that u take some extra modules that requires presentation :) It really takes lots of practice to talk without clue card, but after time, you will find that it 's just as easy to talk without them also.

    The Q&A of team Clover was handled good as well. There's a bit of problem in term of technical details, which is easily got noticed. But u showed the effort in listening :)

    If your job allow it, then try doing presentation once it a while :) Hope u 'll enjoy it :D

    Mark

    ReplyDelete